BENGALURU: Bangalore University (BU), which got back permission to offer distance education courses recently, is now struggling to resolve an internal issue concerning holding courses under it — “Where to hold the contact classes? government colleges or private colleges?”Recently, there was a rift between BU Vice-Chancellor and the director of distance education over printing of study material. Now, it is about selecting study centres or contact classes.
While the VC insists on government colleges for holding contact classes, the director of distance education department prefers private colleges. According to varsity sources, this rift may cost BU an entire year to start distance education courses. “As per UGC directives, we need to set up 30 study centres to go on with admissions. If this is delayed, then we might lose out a year,” said Prof B C Mylarappa, director, distance education department.
According to the distance education officials, UGC authorities may visit any time to inspect the same. “I have written to the VC about the need to set up study centres. We are already late. But the VC says we will ask government colleges and then set up centres there. I think this will delay the admissions even further,” he said.
According Prof Mylarappa, choosing government colleges as study centres are a risky task as no one will be ready to take up the responsibility there. The study centres are usually set up at private colleges for the only reason that 40% of the fee is given to the private centres and the remaining 60% comes to the university. There is a profit margin for the private institutes and hence they come forward to take up these study centres and also the responsibility.
But, BU VC Prof K R Venugopal, say varsity officials, feels it is a waste of money and wonders why the money should be paid to private colleges when there are plenty of government colleges for the same purpose.